Tuesday, March 30, 2010

One for One

In the spirit of shamelessly stealing a really good idea from the blog of my dear friend, Ellen, I've written this open letter to the creator of an incredible global-outreach project.

Dear Tom,
I'm not sure where you are in the world at this moment, what your last name is, or how exactly you became so brilliantly inspired to create your system of giving, but I would like to commend you for your excellence in ingenuity, creativity, and kindness. Your incredible organization and trendy footwear has made people worldwide more globally aware. It has incited charity among the wealthiest people in the world, and its popularity continues to flourish. I have long admired this project from afar as I watched many friends, acquaintances, and strangers rock your canvas shoes and longed for the day when I could become just one among so many who have answered the call to make the world a little smaller through peace, love, and footwear. Cinderella would be so proud.
This weekend, as I received the perfect pair of red canvas TOMS as a birthday gift, I thought of that person half-way around the world, young or old, small or large, who will receive its companion pair and will finally be able to walk to school or to work, play on the playground or fetch water for the family with feet that are covered and protected from the elements, and I was humbled and excited to be able to reach across an ocean and touch a life. It is a beautiful project that you have created and popularized, Tom. I am proud to have finally participated, and I cannot wait until I am able do so again.
I say a special prayer tonight for that pair of shoes being sent out into the world and the person whose feet will fit snugly inside them. May God bless that soul (and those soles) with happiness and peace. And may God bless you, Tom, with joy, peace, and a very long life for your project.

Your devoted admirer,
Hailey

2 comments:

  1. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and all that jazz.

    And someone should be writing quality blogs because it's certainly not me, these days.

    So write open letters with my blessing, kiddo.

    Also let this comment serve as notice that I'm still alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toms are cool. I think that red is a good color to have too.

    ReplyDelete