Friday, March 25, 2011

8 Questions

I have been asked several questions since becoming a teacher that have completely left me speechless. These aren't the kind of questions I don't feel qualified to answer; they're just the kind I never expected to hear.

1. Can I go out to the parking lot? I left my car running this morning.
2. Can I turn my homework in tomorrow? I got hit by a car yesterday afternoon.
3. Can I go to the office? My tooth just broke off.
4. Can I go get my book? I left it on the wrong side of my locker, so I forgot to pick it up.
5. Can you tell us about your first kiss?
6. Do you know who invented the dog whistle?
7. Where does the peace sign come from?
8. Do you know how to fold those paper chain people who all hold hands?



Needless to say, those of you who think that teachers only need to know about teaching their particular subject matter, think again. I've half a mind to write to the dean of my college and demand to know why the English Department didn't teach me who invented the dog whistle. I'm sure he'd take that into consideration and create a class designed specifically around that. In the meantime, Wikipedia is at my frequent disposal.

No comments:

Post a Comment