Thursday, May 27, 2010

The me I never thought I would be

My parents both grew up playing sports. And I don't mean they liked sports and played in summer leagues and had a great time. Those things are all true, but it was more than that for them. Sports were what both of their young lives were all about and they both played every kind of sport available to them. So, by the time my sister and I were old enough to be on sports teams, we were. Softball was the biggest one at my house. My parents started coaching when I was only 4 years old (we were serious about ball, so I skipped tee-ball and started playing coach-pitch softball at the age of 4). They either coached or were our biggest cheerleaders until my sister decided to stop playing at the age of about 14. She's 4 years younger than me, so means our family was involved in softball (and basketball or volleyball during the school year) for about 14 consecutive years. Athleticism is in my blood. But it's not really in my body. I was always very strong, but never very fast. I'm not a runner. Even from my young days of softball, my daddy taught me to hit the ball really far so that I could make it to first base before they got the ball back into the infield. I've never been a runner.

By the time I made it to high school, I had practically given up on sports all together. I didn't enjoy them anymore because I was in terrible shape, and it was always too hard to play. I had just decided that that wasn't the girl I was going to be. Once I got to Harding and decided that I did not like my appearance or level of healthiness, Rob and I began a regular daily work out that we kept up for 3 school years. It was crazy. I never would have thought that I would become the girl who worked out regularly, appreciated its effect on my body, mind, and health, and even sometimes enjoyed it. Exercise has been a blessing for my life for sometime. However, even through all of that, I still wasn't a runner. My working out was mostly on the elliptical machines and lifting weights, etc. I am not a runner. My body wasn't created that way. But, like most things in my life, dramatic changes tend to come with a good cause attached. I've done a ton of things in my life that I never thought I'd do because they would benefit someone I cared about.
So now, thanks to a sweet lady who has blessed my life immensely by mothering me in just the way I needed, I am on my way to being a runner.

My friend, and former club sponsor, Lisa Burley's son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last year. Regina really wanted to walk with her in the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Walk for a Cure last fall, but scheduling made it impossible. This year, Lisa has created an online team profile where people can join Burley's Bunch and pledge to raise money and walk with her. Lisa and the Burley family are so special to me that I just couldn't pass up the opportunity. So, I signed up, assuming that walking a 5K on a Saturday morning in September would be fun and for a good cause. Then I began talking to my friends, several of whom have other children in their lives who suffer from this dreadful disease. And Rob decided she wanted to do it with me, but, congruent with her nature, she also decided we needed to go all out. She has set us up with a training schedule where we run three times a week and will spend the summer working up to a place where we're able to run the whole 5K without stopping. I'm terrified, to say the least.

We began week 3 last night, and for the first time in more years than I can count, I ran 3 full minutes without stopping. Twice.

It's still pretty hard on me, and sometimes I still hate to go. But I like the way I feel after running, and I love the way I feel when I think about all the research that JDRF is doing and the idea that our children may see a cure within our lifetimes.


1 comment:

  1. Oh, Hailey -- You're making me cry. A good cry, though, so don't feel bad.

    I've been pondering my own state of fitness (or lack thereof) and would like to take steps to improve it before the 5K. You have encouraged me to set aside my fears about physical activity and do it. Thank you for your encouragement and your support. Now that school's out, I'm going to get started on raising money for the JDRF walk and on getting my own act together. Thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete