Sunday, January 31, 2010

Tents and Tarps
















I know that everyone has heard about the earthquake the Haitians experienced earlier this month. The more I hear about it, the more I wish I was in a place in my life where I could just go down there and help do something. I feel so helpless when I hear about terrible disasters like that, but my heart is always with them. I've been praying for them and their situation since I heard the story. I've never been to Haiti. I've never seen their faces in person. But I've seen pictures. And after seeing those people in Belize last summer and learning to love them, I can't help but feel that same tug at my heart when I see the suffering these people are enduring.
I am so proud to be a part of a student body here at Harding that loves people all over the world so actively. The Student Association, along with Harding's administration, immediately began searching for ways that we could help. We had two University representatives go to Haiti and assess the situation and then come back and let us know what the most urgent need was. I was heartbroken to learn that these people that we see on the news sleeping in the streets aren't just the ones who have lost their houses. They are all sleeping in the streets because the earthquake came at night, and they're afraid if they sleep in their houses it might come again while they're inside. They're terrified to sleep in their own homes. Can you even imagine?
Anyway, the Harding SA, along with several other Universities and organizations, has organized an effort to sent tents and tarps to Haiti to provide shelter for those who have lost their homes, and for those who are simply too afraid to sleep inside anything more substantial than a tent. We have already raised enough money to send tents for 200 families who were able to sleep inside them last night. I am amazed at what God's people can accomplish when the love of Jesus is in their hearts.
So, this is an invitation to those of you who are still looking for a way to help. Go to https://tentsandtarps.org/ where you can see pictures and videos of the great need in Haiti and donate to TentsAndTarps. $50 will provide shelter for one Haitian family, but donations of any size are welcome and appreciated.
Even if you are unable to donate money, please, please keep praying for these people. God can work through this tragedy to bring about a divine light. Let's work hard to keep remembering our brothers and sisters even in the midst of our busy, but -honestly- comfortable lives.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great program, and what I love about HU is the way that everybody I talk to about this says exactly what you said - "I wish I could go down there right now and start helping." What a great bunch of folks to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have you know, I'm excited that you started this blog and I completely LOVE you!

    ReplyDelete